The St. Mary's School Community Family - Small changes that make a big difference.
Here at our school, we want everyone to feel that they are a part of of larger, loving family. Our St. Mary's Family is based on two big ideas that we learned from Jesus - Love God, and Love One Another.
How can we show love for one another? How can we make everyone feel happy and safe at school? Sometimes, it is just a matter of changing a few small things:
- Make eye contact, smile and say hello to others when we see them.
- Look for ways to help one another.
- Learn to listen actively - make eye contact, stay quiet and really focus on the other person, nod or show by words or actions that you are really hearing what is being said (instead of just waiting for the other person to finish so that you can say what you want to say), ask questions, and show empathy.
- Encourage others to give their ideas or show any of the wonderful abilities they have.
- When in class, if someone gives an incorrect answer, don't laugh or say something to make him/her feel small ("I can't believe you thought that" or "That one was easy - how did you get it wrong?"). Instead, congratulate them on being brave enough to take a risk. Sometimes incorrect answers spark other great ideas.
- Avoid gossip - it is toxic. Instead of talking about someone, try talking to someone. You might be surprised what you find when you take the time to get to know someone.
Take this week to try even one of these ideas. You may find that you become the best part of someone's day.