Check here daily for work that was taught and assigned. This should be especially helpful if your child was absent, or forgot their agenda at school.
Friday, April 28, 2017.
- Comparing and Ordering fractions (again)
Gr. 5 - they had a quiz today. They are encouraged to get their Mathletics certificate this weekend
Gr. 6 - p.296# 4,5,6,7,9. They also should try to get their Mathletics certificate.
- Read to p. 115 in 'Silverwing'
- Both grades have their projects due Monday.
Thursday, April 27, 2017.
Comparing and ordering fractions
Gr.5: p.267# 1-5, 8,9,10
Gr.6: p.296# 1,5c.
- Finish poem and add 3 imagery techniques
-Read to Part II in Silverwing (89)
Both grades' projects are due Monday. At this point, anyone who did not finish in class, will need to complete it at home.
Wednesday, April 26, 2017.
We had students coming and going all day! The only work that I have assigned is for everyone to read to page 70 in Silverwing. Please.
Tuesday, April 25, 2017.
- We played a game ('Fractionland') that I created to review the 4 main concepts taught thus far: equivalent fractions, simplest form, improper to mixed fractions, and mixed to improper fractions.
-A review sheet is to be completed
- We are learning more about free verse poetry, and tools we can use in our writing to create imagery. Today the class learned about onomatopoeia and similes.
-I also launched a novel study. Together we are reading the book 'Silverwing' by Kenneth Oppel. Each night the students will have a chapter to read, that I will be quizzing them on the next day. Tonight they were assigned "Tree Haven" (read to page 30). This is an excellent book which will provide many reading and writing opportunities for the students.
Today was "Techy Tuesday". Many students were introduced to 'Scratch', which is a block based coding language. Others completed robotic challenges. We had fun!
Monday, April 24, 2017.
- We spent a lot of time today examining improper and mixed fractions.
Gr. 5: p.263# 1, 3-5, 7 and reflect.
Gr.6: p.293 # 1-5, 7.
- We started a short poetry unit today. I think I have even won over a few of the students! My focus is free verse poetry, and in doing so, I teach use of imagery (alliteration, personification, and similes), and good word choice.
Gr.5: The students created their Kahoot accounts in class today. Tomorrow they will begin creating their quizzes from their plans.
Gr. 6: Projects are due Monday.
Friday, April 21, 2017.
- We practiced equivalent fractions some more, and added on the concept of simplest form/lowest terms. The students were given a worksheet to complete.
- Read for at least 30 minutes this weekend.
Gr.5: They were given their culminating task for our Government unit. Please read through it with your child, and sign it. It clearly explains what is expected, and how it will be marked.
The planning sheet (all 10 questions) is due Monday.
Gr.6: Work on trade projects.
Thursday, April 20, 2017.
Math - Equivalent fractions. Gr.5: p.260-1#1-5, Gr.6: p.289-90# 1-4,6,7.
Language - We are reading through the Julian Chapter together.
We went to the library this afternoon. Everyone should be reading a bit each night!
Social Studies - Gr.5: They will be given their culminating task for this unit tomorrow.
Gr.6: Please get the project outline signed and return it.
Tuesday, April 18, 2017.
Hope everyone had a fantastic Easter weekend!
- We are beginning a new unit on Fractions. Today the students began making fractions tiles. These are homework. If you were absent, I will give you the package to make your tiles tomorrow. (Vaughan - I sent it home with your brother. You can ask a friend for instructions).
- The following letter was written today in class. It is also due tomorrow, as students had a lot of class time to complete it.
- Tomorrow morning the grade 5's are walking to the Fire Hall! Please come with a breakfast in your belly, and rain gear if needed.